Back End Software Developer (Lead/Staff/Senior)
Coursera is a leading online learning platform for higher education, where 76 million learners from around the world come to learn skills of the future. More than 200 of the world’s top universities and industry educators partner with Coursera to offer courses, Specializations, certificates, and degree programs. Thousands of companies trust the company’s enterprise platform Coursera for Business to transform their talent. Coursera for Government equips government employees and citizens with in-demand skills to build a competitive workforce. Coursera for Campus empowers any university to offer high-quality, job-relevant online education to students, alumni, faculty, and staff. Coursera is backed by leading investors that include Kleiner Perkins, New Enterprise Associates, Learn Capital, and SEEK Group.
Coursera was founded by two computer science professors at Stanford with a vision of providing life-transforming learning experiences to anyone, anywhere. It is the world’s largest online learning platform for higher education. 190 of the world’s top universities and industry educators partner with Coursera to offer courses, Specializations, and degrees that empower over 45 million learners around the world to achieve their career goals. Over 1,800 companies use the company’s enterprise platform Coursera for Business to transform their talent. Coursera is backed by leading venture capital firms such as Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, New Enterprise Associates, GSV Capital, International Finance Corporation, Laureate Education Inc., and Learn Capital.
Coursera’s Engineering teams are responsible for maintaining a scalable and reliable platform. Engineering works to build interactive products for the worldwide learner community. We are made up of five teams: Development Infrastructure, Growth, Learner Experience, Partner Experience, and SDET Engineering. Every day, Engineering teams collaborate with cross-functional partners, including other engineers, data scientists, and product managers.
You personally exhibit a conviction that the world needs Coursera to be wildly successful and alignment to our core values:
- Betterment: a tireless pursuit to drive results
- Boldness: take risks and act decisively
- Deep Honesty: invite and offer candid feedback in order to learn, change, and grow
- Solidarity: recognize that we are part of something bigger than ourselves and are committed
- Lead effective technical design/architecture discussions and drive technical decisions and impact
- Build and operate complex software systems that are understandable, testable, and maintainable systems by applying data modeling techniques
- Partner with other engineers and cross functional (Data Science, Marketing, Product Management etc.) teams to design, develop, build, and launch features that solve complex problems with simple, elegant solutions using common patterns and technology.
- Generate and test hypotheses about our product through feature ideation and analyzing user behavior.
- Propose and lead projects that provide leverage and improve developer productivity, quality, performance, availability and resiliency of our systems and teams
- Mentor and guide fellow engineers to help them improve their technical ability and become more effective product software engineers
- 7+ years of experience working in a relevant product software engineering role
- Application architecture and design patterns
- Experience serving as technical lead throughout the full SDLC, from conception, architecture definition, detailed design, scoping, planning, implementation, testing to documentation, delivery and maintenance
- Knowledge of professional software engineering and best practices for the SDLC, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Expertise in designing highly-scalable and performant micro-services and storage layers using common frameworks, languages, and infrastructure (e.g. Java, Play/Scala, MySql, Cassandra, Solr, Kafka)
- A strong sense of ownership, high standards and a bias for action (at Coursera we ship value to our learners multiple times a day).
- A data-informed mindset, you are strongly motivated by success and learnings through experiments and metrics analysis.
- Exceptional track record of leadership and mentorship preferably in a remote environment
- Experience in development of distributed/scalable systems and high-volume transaction applications
If this opportunity interests you, you might like these courses on Coursera:
- Functional Programming in Scala Specialization
- Machine Learning
- Applied Data Science with Python
- Improving your statistical inferences
- Building Scalable Java Microservices with Spring and Boot
Coursera is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and considers all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected class.
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, please contact us at email@example.com.
Please review our CCPA Applicant Notice here.
Please mention that you found the job on Remote Jobs Vault as thank you to us, this helps us get more companies to post here!