Editor and Designer Consultant
Editor and Designer Consultant
Location: Home based
Additional Category: Gender Equality
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: International Consultant
Duration of Initial Contract: 364 Days
Expected Duration of Assignment: 166 Working Days
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
In Nigeria, the UN Women Country Office contributes to the development of Nigeria’s vision, and is aligned to United Nations Sustainable Development Partnership Framework (UNSDPF) with the Government of Nigeria as well as UN Women’s Strategic Plan. The Nigeria Country Office aims to achieve the following results: (i) increased women’s leadership and participation in governance; (ii) strengthened women’s economic empowerment; (iii) increased protection of women & access to justice for women; and (iv) strengthened women’s leadership in peace building and humanitarian response.
The knowledge management products and services provide the content for dissemination using the communication strategy. Knowledge management provides evidence and facts to support communication activities such as public relations, events, scholarly communication, media relations, public engagement, social mobilization, advocacy and alliance building.
Communication activities and channels also provide strategic platforms for knowledge creation, capture, sharing, validation and use. Thus, by implementing its communications strategy, UN Women will further its knowledge management agenda. This will enhance program outcomes and help it to win and retain development partners and key stakeholders-including host government and non-state actors.
The publication and dissemination of the knowledge products also provides the evidence base on which UN Women programs and work plans are anchored. Similarly, the dissemination and use of best practices and lessons learned enhances the implementation of programs and increases the visibility of UN Women results. Furthermore, increased knowledge capture and sharing is envisaged to facilitate effective resource mobilization resulting in increased programmatic impact and enhanced sustainability.
UN Women Nigeria seeks to contract a consultant to provide proofreading and design work for various planned knowledge products.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Consultant will undertake the following tasks for UN Women Nigeria Country Office
The Consultant will do the light writing, editing, layout and design of the following:
Women Peace and Security and Humanitarian Action
- Edit, design and layout of at least four State Action Plans (SAPs) on 1325 and produce a 2-4 page policy brief
- Edit, design and layout of Gender Assessment of SSR and produce a 2-4 pages policy brief
- Edit, design and layout of Gender Guidelines for the security sector and produce a 2-4 pages policy brief
- Edit, design and layout of a baseline survey report on women, peace and security and produce a 5-7 summary
- Edit, design and layout of policy brief of gender dimensions of the farmer/herder crisis
- Edit, design and layout of report on capacity assessment of relevant government institutions and CSOs engaged in peace and security
- Edit, design and layout of report on training of security personnel on gender-based violence, Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse and gender-sensitive community policing
- Edit, design and layout report on women’s engagement in conflict resolution and peacebuilding in Benue, Nasarawa and Taraba States
- Edit, design and layout report on Mediation, Early Warning Early Response training
- Edit, design and layout a gender-responsive advocacy brief on EWER
- Edit, design and layout gender audit and assessment report on the humanitarian sector
- Edit, design and layout the cooperative governance and management Training of Trainers reports
- Edit, design and layout policy brief on the forced and anti-trafficking project and its final report
- Edit, design and layout report and policy brief on national policy dialogue to elaborate priority interventions to strengthen fair and safe migration for women
- Edit and design final awareness materials on anti-trafficking such as brochures and briefs.
Women’s Political Participation
- Edit, design and layout of Election Journey Guide
- Edit, design and layout of Gender Analysis of legal frameworks (electoral Act and the Nigeria Constitution)
- Edit, design and layout of the report/documentation of Violence Against Women in Elections
- Edit, design and layout framework/report of the post mortem of 2019 general elections
- Edit and design layout for the report on UNW/NILDS trainings for female legislators
- Edit and design layout for strategy and framework towards 2023 elections in Nigeria
- Edit and support design UNW/FMWASD proposed work plan and strategy for collaboration
- Edit, design and layout relevant Spotlight documentation; Newsletters, Programme documents, e.g., monitoring guidelines, simplified copies of VAPP Act, National Gender Policy, Sexual Harassment policies and other relevant documents.
- Design and layout of UNW Nigeria brochure- ‘At a glance’
- Edit, design and layout of UN Women Nigeria program briefs, fact sheets and other relevant publications.
The Consultant will edit these knowledge products to ensure that proper English grammar is used and the information in the publications, brochures and fact sheets is coherent in addition to the design and layout of the products.
- Final product of 2 SAPs on 1325 and a 2-4 pages policy brief produced
- Final product of Gender Assessment of SSR and a 2-4 pages policy brief produced
- Final product of Gender Guidelines for the security sector and a 2-4 pages policy brief produced
- Final product of a baseline survey report on women, peace and security and a 5-7 summary produced
- Final product of brief of gender dimensions of the farmer/herder crisis produced
- Final product of guidelines for monitoring the review of relevant policies including the National Gender Policy, National policy for Basic Education and Sexual Harassment policies
- Final product of women participation in local leadership structures report produced
- UN Women Nigeria brochure produced
- UN Women program briefs, factsheets and other relevant publications produced.
- Final product of the election guide document produced
- Final product of the Gender Analysis of legal frameworks produced
- Final product of the Violence Against Women in Elections report produced
- Final report of training for female legislators produced
- Final strategy/framework for support to women’s participation for 2023 elections produced
- Final product of gender-responsive advocacy brief on EWER produced
- Final report on Mediation, Early Warning Early Response training
- Final report on training of security personnel on gender-based violence, Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse and gender-sensitive community policing
- Final report on women’s engagement in conflict resolution and peacebuilding in Benue, Nasarawa and Taraba States produced
- Final report of the cooperative governance and management Training of Trainers reports produced
- Final product of UNW/FMWASD proposed workplan and strategy for collaboration produced
- Final report of the gender audit and assessment report produced
- Final product of policy brief on the forced and anti-trafficking project and its final report produced
- Final product of report and policy brief on national policy dialogue to elaborate priority interventions to strengthen fair and safe migration for women produced
- Final awareness materials on anti-trafficking such as brochures and as required produced
- Final product of relevant Spotlight documentation; Newsletters, Programme documents e.g. monitoring guidelines, simplified copies of VAPP Act, National Gender Policy, Sexual Harassment policies and other relevant documents produced.
Upon receipt of the deliverables and prior to the payment, the deliverables and related reports and documents will be reviewed and approved by UN Women. The period of review is one week after receipt.
- UN Women will provide the Consultant with background materials relevant to the assignment.
- The Consultant is expected to work using his/ her own computer.
Consultant’s performance will be evaluated based on: timeliness, responsibility, initiative, communication, accuracy, and quality of the products delivered.
Core Values and Guiding Principles:
Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity
Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative
Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication
Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others
Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge
Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making
- Demonstrated communication skills in English;
- Excellent editing & writing skills;
- Good understanding of gender and development issues in Nigeria;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Highest standards of integrity, discretion and loyalty.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and Certification
- Degree in Communications, English, Development or a relevant field.
- Full computer literacy is expected;
- Minimum of 15 years of relevant experience in communications including in writing, editing, design, and layout of publications and IEC materials for the UN, NGOs and other development assistance agencies
- Knowledge of the other UN working knowledge is an asset.
Applications will be evaluated based on a Cumulative analysis.
- Technical Qualification (100 points) weight; [70%]
- Financial Proposal (100 points) weight; [30%]
A two-stage procedure is utilised in evaluating the proposals, with evaluation of the technical proposal being completed prior to any price proposal being compared. Only the price proposal of the candidates who passed the minimum technical score of 70% of the obtainable score of 100 points in the technical qualification evaluation will be evaluated.
Technical qualification evaluation criteria:
The total number of points allotted for the technical qualification component is 100. The technical qualification of the individual is evaluated based on following technical qualification evaluation criteria:
Technical Evaluation Criteria
- Experience and skills 90 %
- Language and other skills 10 %
- Total Obtainable Score 100 %
Financial/Price Proposal evaluation: Only the candidates who fit the minimum requirements will be longlisted and further documentation may be requested. Candidates with a minimum of 70% of total points will be considered as technically-qualified candidates and will be shortlisted for potential interview.
Only the financial proposal of candidates who have attained a minimum of 70% score in the technical evaluation will be considered and evaluated.
The total number of points allotted for the price component is 100.
The maximum number of points will be allotted to the lowest price proposal that is opened/ evaluated and compared among those technically qualified candidates who have attained a minimum of 70% score in the technical evaluation. All other price proposals will receive points in inverse proportion to the lowest price
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Please mention that you found the job on Remote Jobs Vault as thank you to us, this helps us get more companies to post here!