- Remote/Home Office
Use your exceptional writing, editing, and project-management skills to shape the voice of education’s most thoughtful, innovative, and impactful nonprofit!
Bellwether has an immediate opening for a Editorial Manager who will oversee content curation and creation across a fast-growing, high-impact nonprofit. This will include managing the production pipeline for all of Bellwether’s public-facing outputs, including reports, microbsites, infographics, fact sheets, case studies, videos, webinars, resource guides, toolkits, slide decks, and marketing collateral; develop new ways of creating content to meet our audiences and tell our story; running our blog, Ahead of the Heard; and coaching and supporting policy analysts, consultants, and other writers. If interested, there are opportunities to write for publication, as well.
About Bellwether Education Partners
Bellwether Education Partners is a national nonprofit focused on dramatically changing education and life outcomes for underserved children. We do this by helping education organizations accelerate their impact and by working to improve contexts and conditions around policy and practice.
Bellwether’s external relations work focuses on training and developing expertise on communications and development internally while creating public-facing materials that will resonate with different types of stakeholders, including policymakers, donors, advocacy organizations, and school leaders.
About the Position
The Editorial Manager will sit on Bellwether’s External Relations (XR) team and work across Bellwether with our Policy & Evaluation and Strategic Advising teams. An ideal candidate should be an excellent writer and communicator, possess an eye for detail and a good turn of phrase, and display eagerness for digital modalities and creative ways of delivering content. They should have a refined point of view, strong journalistic instincts, and believe that the status quo isn’t good enough for American children, particularly students of color. This position will report to the Director of Development and work closely with Communications and Marketing Director.
In this position, you should expect to:
Expand our influence by managing a high-impact content pipeline
- Own Bellwether’s editorial calendar and the production process for blog posts, op-eds, publications, and other Bellwether-branded products
- Liaise with web, graphic design, video, technology, copy editing, and other production vendors to ensure strong content quality
- Draft promotional content, such as landing page text, and serve as the digital publisher for much of our work
- Strategize with XR and project teams on best modes and formats for our work to achieve its intended impact
- Design and launch new modalities as needed to help us better match content to audience
- Work with writers and analysts who approach education questions from a variety of perspectives and viewpoints
Ensure that Bellwether’s editorial standards and integrity are met
- Serve as managing editor for our blog, Ahead of the Heard
- Maintain and update our editorial norms, in-house style guide, and shared language for consistency and professionalism across our work
- Serve as content editor for Bellwether’s commentary and collateral, providing structural, stylistic, and other feedback to authors and researchers
- Ensure transparency to ensure Bellwether is meeting its obligations to users of our content and that any conflicts of interest are disclosed.
Support and expand the team’s communications capacity
- Coach the Bellwether team to become stronger writers through targeted and general team trainings
- Serve as a thought partner for Bellwether senior leaders in drafting commentary
- Maintain accurate, up-to-date records and measures of Bellwether’s impact
Bellwether is a good fit for professionals who possess strong personal drive and motivation; who demonstrate exemplary professional behavior and values; and who are resourceful, responsible, tenacious, independent, creative, and self-confident.
Excited? We are too. You should apply if you have:
- A clear passion and commitment to improving schools serving underserved students;
- Familiarity with the challenges and disparities facing underserved students and PreK-16 education in the United States;
- A commitment to Bellwether’s core values , including diversity, equity, and inclusion;
- A commitment to our work to address policies and practices that lead to inequitable outcomes for marginalized groups;
- Ability to model a high degree of reflection and self-awareness, build trusted relationships across lines of difference, and seek out and respond to perspectives different from your own;
- At least five to seven years of professional experience in journalism, writing, editing, or editorial content management;
- Outstanding editing skills, with a keen ability to draw out ideas, polish drafts, and refine a writer’s perspective;
- A fast, adaptable writing style and comfortable in multiple voices and styles;
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills;
- A fierce attention to detail and a commitment to producing the highest quality work;
- Ability to think creatively and innovatively about opportunities to expand the reach of our work;
- Skilled project management and comfort handling multiple projects with fast-moving deadlines at once;
- Strong coaching and adult-facilitation skills;
- Ability to give and receive feedback; to manage up and laterally, as needed; and to execute projects successfully without constant supervision;
- A well-rounded interpersonal skill set with the capacity to work well both independently and in a team environment; and
- Ability to quickly pick up and understand new topics in education policy and practice.
The following traits/skills are preferred, but not required:
- Experience with web-based content management systems (including Drupal and WordPress) and CRMs (including Salesforce);
- Familiarity with multimedia production modalities, such as experiences with web, graphic design, audio, or video production; and
- Basic knowledge of HTML and CSS .
Bellwether Education Partners provides competitive compensation and an attractive benefits package that includes a performance bonus based on individual and firm success, health care coverage, and a 401(k) plan with an employer matching contribution policy.
Please mention that you found the job on Remote Jobs Vault as thank you to us, this helps us get more companies to post here!