Engineer – Managed Services Engineering
Engineer – Managed Services Engineering
Managed Services ENGIN03927
Open (telecommute) United States
The primary purpose of this position is to manage and maintain IT infrastructure environments for Managed Services customers, which may include, but are not limited to: enterprise data storage systems, mainframe (IBM System z), midrange (IBM Power), Windows, and/or Unix/Linux systems and associated software; network infrastructure environments; virtualized systems, database systems, and security tools. The Managed Services Engineer ensures high levels of availability and security of the supported systems and business applications. This position will focus on the operational stability and maintenance of virtualized and physical infrastructure in customer and/or hosted data center environments.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs a variety of technical tasks in support of Managed Services customers. These may include, but are not limited to:
- Performs platform-specific technical tasks including operating system upgrades, installation and configuration of various software packages, installation of patches and fixes (PTFs)
- Performs problem analysis and documentation, root-cause analysis, and creates incident reports
- Performs detailed troubleshooting for complex system engineering issues
- Perform design, creation, implementation and documentation of system and application monitoring, scheduling packages, and tape management systems
- Performs on-demand save and restore operations using various technologies and software packages
- Performs migrations and due-diligence documentation for new Sirius Managed Services customers
- Performs maintenance tasks relating to iTera and Mimix, including installation, patching, health checks, audit review and repair, configuration modifications, and role swap/switch processing
- Coordinates with team with pre-sales questions regarding existing customer base
- Works with IBM and other vendors to resolve customer issues
- Acts as a liaison between Engineering and Operations groups
- Provides on-call support in a defined rotation schedule
- Installs, implements, maintains, upgrades, and troubleshoots client infrastructure solutions
- Plans, develops, installs, configures, maintains, supports, and optimizes client network hardware, software, and communication links
- Anticipates, mitigates, identifies, and responds to system performance issues
- Ensures the integrity and security of enterprise data on host computers, multiple databases, and during data transfer in accordance to business needs and industry best-practices regarding privacy, security, and regulatory compliance
- Performs database installations, updates/patches/upgrades, tuning, performance monitoring, replication, back-ups, security, user management, and resource management
- Researches and makes recommendations on infrastructure products, services, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts
- Conducts transaction, performance, and security audits
- Performs routine system backups and restores
- Participates in Disaster Recovery exercises and planning
- Follows change control, incident response, and testing processes
- Communicates and enforces, through system procedures, data storage retention policies
- Monitors, analyzes, and predicts trends for equipment performance, space allocation, and data growth to recommend enhancements
- Creates scripts to automate common tasks
- Addresses and updates customer incident tickets and change orders, providing internal management and customer account managers with status information
- Creates required reports in response to business user needs
- Develops, documents, and maintains policies, procedures and associated training plans for systems and /or database administration and appropriate use
- Develops reusable assets (templates, tools, etc) for the Managed Services practice
- Works with account management personnel to participate on conference calls and perform tasks in support of the client relationship
- Partners with the Managed Services Continuous Improvement team on pre-sales support activity and design and scoping of services
- Provides technical perspective to ensure a realistic estimation of scope, cost and level of effort for proposal generation
- Works with project managers in the development and implementation of project plans and timelines
- Complies with all-time compliance and time entry guidelines
- Training/Certifications: Attends training sessions, and obtains industry-related certifications as determined by management
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Information Technology, Engineering, Mathematics or a related field
- At least three (3) years of IT engineering work experience dealing with one or more infrastructure solutions supported by the Managed Services practice (Networking Infrastructure, Enterprise Storage, Mainframe, Midrange, Windows, and/or Unix/Linux systems, virtualization technologies, monitoring infrastructure, database systems, and/or security tools)
- Experience with troubleshooting and maintenance of environments running the IBM i operating system
Other Position Requirements
- Demonstrated ability to implement and troubleshoot IT Infrastructure systems and configurations in designated area of specialty
- Experience in a technical support environment
- Experience with Mimix, iTera HA, or PowerHA
- Experience with the IBM i operating system (iSeries, AS/400, i5/OS, OS/400)
- Experience with Virtual I/O Server (VIOS)
- Experience with IBM Power Systems servers
- Experience with Backup, Recovery, and Media Services (BRMS)
- Demonstrated knowledge of TCP/IP concepts, including but not limited to: routing, FTP, NAT, DNS
- Experience with Hardware Management Console (HMC) and logical partitioning
- Demonstrated ability to acquire further technical skills
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to multitask and prioritize workload
- Demonstrated customer service skills
- Demonstrated ability to investigate problems and utilize problem-solving techniques
- Demonstrated ability to establish positive working relationships and work as a team player in a managed services environment
- Demonstrated ability to be resourceful in working with disparate client and internal departments to deliver meaningful solutions
- Demonstrated ability to provide guidance and leadership to less experienced technical team members
- Demonstrated ability to develop strong customer relationships and trust to secure future business
- Demonstrated ability to achieve high levels of customer satisfaction
- Managed Services experience
- Completion of certifications related to job role available from IBM
- IBM i Administrator or current equivalent
- IBM i Virtualization or current equivalent
- Prior experience monitoring, maintaining, and performing roleswaps using Mimix
Data Privacy & Security
- Security is every employee’s responsibility. If you are aware of a security-related vulnerability or non-compliance with the Information Security Policy or Employee Handbook you must report it to the Corporate Security Team, Human Resources, or a member of Senior Management.
- Participate at hire and annually in the Information Security Awareness training as well as other required training identified by the Human Resources department. HIPAA or other regulatory training may be required based on your role or assignment.
The position is part of a 7 day per week, 24 hour per day managed services operations. To provide the required coverage, must be willing to work other shifts including weekends, holidays, and overtime.
The above primary duties, responsibilities, and position requirements are not all inclusive.
Sirius is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. As a government contractor, Sirius takes affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and protected veterans; maintains a drug-free workplace; and participates in E-Verify.
Demonstrates competencies defined for the Analyst through Specialist level, plus the following:
Communicates Effectively – Is effective in a variety of communication settings: one-on-one, small or large groups, among diverse styles and position levels. Attentively listens to others. Adjusts to fit the audience and the message. Provides timely and helpful information to others across the organization. Encourages the open expression of diverse ideas and opinions.
Tech Savvy – Anticipates the impact of emerging technologies and makes adjustments. Scans the environment for new technical skills, knowledge, of capabilities that can benefit business or personal performance. Rejects low-impact or fad technologies. Readily learns and adopts new technologies
Resourcefulness – Marshalls resources (people, funding, materials, support) to get things done. Orchestrates multiple activities simultaneously to accomplish a goal. Gets the most out of limited resources. Applies knowledge of internal structures, processes and culture to resourcing efforts.
Collaborates – Works cooperatively with others across the organization to achieve shared objectives. Represents own interests while being fair to others and their areas. Partners with others to get work done. Credits others for their contributions and accomplishments. Gains trust and support of others.
Client Focus – Gains insight into customer needs. Identifies opportunities that benefit the customer. Builds and delivers solutions that meet customer expectations. Establishes and maintains effective customer relationships.
Drives Results – Has a strong bottom-line orientation. Persists in accomplishing objectives despite obstacles and setbacks. Has a track record of exceeding goals successfully. Pushes self and helps others achieve goals.
Please mention that you found the job on Remote Jobs Vault as thank you to us, this helps us get more companies to post here!