Full Stack Software Engineer
Full Stack Software Engineer
- NYC OR REMOTE /
- ENGINEERING /
The Petal mission
Petal’s mission is to bring financial opportunity and innovation to everyone.
We’re pioneering a new approach to credit, by analyzing an applicant’s banking history, in addition to credit history, to determine their creditworthiness. We call this technology a Cash Score — and it takes into account income, spending, and savings. It’s currently helping thousands of people qualify for credit at better rates, even if they’ve never had it before.
We bring the same ingenuity to our credit card products. Our simple and intuitive app gives members access to credit score tracking, budgeting tools, subscription management, and automated payment options—everything they need to make financial progress.
Now more than ever, Americans need help improving their credit safely, responsibly, and affordably. If this sounds like something you’d like to be a part of, apply now, and let’s change this trillion-dollar industry together.
At Petal, we’re looking for people with kindness, positivity, and integrity. You’re encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn’t precisely match the job description. Your skills and potential will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Petal, we welcome diverse perspectives from people who think rigorously and aren’t afraid to challenge assumptions.
Join a team of talented, motivated, and collaborative engineers working to create the ideal application journey for users who are often applying for their first credit product. We are looking for developers who are excited about our mission and can empathize with our customers.
In this role, you will spend around 70% of your time on frontend user interface work (React, Redux, Typescript) and 30% of your time on backend API work (Python, Flask, and Postgres – via SQLAlchemy).
- Write high-quality, well-tested, functional, observable code that runs smoothly in production.
- Collaborate closely with Product, Design, Marketing, and Risk Policy teams to create a smooth registration flow for our users.
- Contribute to and lead complex projects, make business vs technology trade-offs during all phases of the project lifecycle, and consistently delivering on time.
- Uphold our high engineering standards and bring consistency to the many codebases and processes you will encounter.
Characteristics of a successful candidate
- Experience with and passion for user interface design. Empathy with end users and a passion for design interfaces will be important as you build out a registration flow tailored for people who are often applying for their first credit product.
- Strong self-management, sense of ownership, and organization. Petal’s open and collaborative environment enables proactive and organized employees to really shine.
- Displays inclusivity, kindness, and humility. Our inclusive and collaborative culture is what makes Petal a great place to work. We need diverse people who embody our core values to make it even greater.
- Product-oriented. Communication of complex, ever-changing business and technology concepts is hard. Creating a shared understanding and path forward via an open discussion is commonplace at Petal.
- Adaptable. As stated above, this role is mostly frontend-focused; that said, successful engineers here roll up their sleeves to dive into dependencies when planning projects, debugging issues, and implementing features end-to-end. So, becoming productive in our API layer (RESTful Flask apps with Postgres databases) is important.
- Weighs trade-offs and focuses on value delivery. A fast-paced startup demands making trade-offs that balance the near term and long term value add of solutions. At Petal, we design robust systems, but try not to let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
- Demonstrated expertise in Python
- Experience in a highly regulated industry such as finance or healthcare
Please mention that you found the job on Remote Jobs Vault as thank you to us, this helps us get more companies to post here!