We are looking to bring on a Migration Advisor to join our operations team. The role is 100% location independent, allowing you to live anywhere in the world!
This is a huge opportunity for you to work with one of the fastest-growing companies in the U.S. and learn the ins and outs of the online business world. Over the last couple of years, our company has seen explosive growth—and there is no sign of it slowing down.
In order to keep hitting our goals, including our 2019 goal of $42 million worth of businesses sold, we need to expand our horizons and improve our customer experience to a point that makes us the de-facto standard for buying and selling online businesses. Your work will help propel the industry forward to new levels not seen before.
So what is a Migration Advisor?
A Migration Advisor takes a hands-on role, transferring businesses from sellers to buyers in a safe and efficient manner. This can be a stressful time for both parties as they near completion of a potentially life-changing deal. It will be your mission to oversee the asset transfer, keep things moving forward and ensure that everyone is in the loop regarding the migration status.
You will spend the first couple of months training with our Migration Supervisor, George Sanderson. The first six months will act as your probationary period, at the end of which (all going well) we’ll have you up and running as a fully-fledged Migration Advisor
What’s the Opportunity?
Becoming a Migration Advisor makes you a critical part of Empire Flippers. You will learn skills that will last you a lifetime in the online business world. We will teach you all of our methods for transferring online businesses and you’ll be deep-diving into the backend of all of the businesses we sell.
You will represent our brand and be the face of Empire Flippers to buyers and sellers at an integral part of the buying and selling process.
Once a buyer and seller agree on a deal, they’ll be transferred to you to close things out. You’ll be the last piece of the puzzle, helping buyers take over their new business and sellers get paid out.
After all, when a business is sold, a seller can receive a truly life-changing sum of cash for their business. In some cases, we’ve even paid out a million+ dollars to a seller.
What’s the Position Like?
The Migration Advisor role is vital to the success of our company.
Since this role will have you speaking to buyers and sellers around the world, it can be a bit stressful here and there. You will need to work weird hours sometimes to make sure you can get on the phone with sellers in different time zones. You will also need to be extremely detail-oriented to make sure that processes are followed to a tee.
Not all buyers and sellers are familiar with the technical aspects of migrating a business; you will need to guide them through the process in a clear and logical manner, ensuring all parties know what’s going on.
Of course, as in any role, sometimes things may not go quite to plan. It’s at this point that your role becomes most critical; you’ll need to calmly troubleshoot issues and make buyers and sellers feel that we have things in hand.
You will drive all of our migrations through a multi-step migration process. We are constantly refining this process to make the transfer as seamless as possible and ensure that we are in-line with any updates to program terms and conditions. As you become more seasoned, you will be tasked with improving this migration process.
We will train you on how to use the various tools we use to migrate businesses. You’ll also be digging into the backend of websites and learning about the various technical aspects of moving a site.
While you don’t have to be a “techie,” having the capacity to learn the technical nuances of the process is a must.
You’ll also be exposed to contracts and purchase agreements for multi-million dollar deals. It will be your job to ensure that the migration is conducted in line with the contract.
Finally, on the rare occasion that some form of renegotiation is required during the migration, you’ll run point on that, helping buyers and sellers to reach a point that works for all parties.
What Skills Do I Need?
We believe in hiring people that are a good fit for us culturally. A good fit is actually more important to us than the skill sets since we will teach you everything you need to know.
While no previous work experience is required, having a background in customer service and/or some kind of technical chops is helpful. Plus, there are some qualities that will go a long way in helping you succeed in this position, such as:
- You need to be detail-oriented. Migration is a meticulous job. You will be closely following our tried and tested processes and it’s vital that steps are followed closely and accurately.
- You need to be a team player. The migration team regularly interact with other areas of the business. You’ll be working closely with our sales team to ensure a smooth customer transition when a deal is done. You’ll give feedback to our vetting department on processes tweaks they can make to make your life easier. You need to be good at communicating your thoughts and getting buy-in from colleagues.
- You’re good at defusing problems. Buying and selling a business is an intimate process. There will almost always be obstacles and challenges for you to help both parties overcome. You’ll need to approach problems in a fair and constructive manner, keeping buyers and sellers calm and giving them confidence that you’ve got their back.
- You’re not afraid of getting on the phone. The migration position will require you to get on the phone a lot with buyers and sellers. Your phone communication needs to be spot-on and you have to be comfortable making those calls to get all the information we need from the buyer and seller.
What’s the Lifestyle Like?
Our company is built on a culture of remote work, travel, and living life on your terms. Being a location-independent full-time position is one of the many benefits!
We aren’t going to chain you to a cubicle. You’ll be free to work anywhere in the world that serves your creativity best. The choice is yours. While we’re an Inc. 5000 company, we’re not a Fortune 500 company. You won’t be some badge number in the corporate machine. We will want your input and insight. As you gain more experience, we are going to rely on you to make our process better and smoother for our sellers while also helping to increase the number of high-quality businesses that go live on our marketplace.
When you first start off, you will be working and training with our Migration Supervisor, George Sanderson. Once we get into 2020, we may ask you to attend a couple of weeks of in-person training at a location to be determined. Of course we will cover the cost of any travel that we require you to do during your probationary period.
You won’t start off making much money.
For the first six months, you will be paid $2,000 USD per month during the probation period. In addition to this, you’ll get a housing stipend of $700 USD per month for months 1 through 6. While not a lot, it is enough to have an enjoyable time in many countries around the world and (just to remind you) you’ll be completely location independent! After six months, you will be gradually introduced to our compensation plan. Within 12 months, you can expect to earn $40,000-$46,000 USD per year, and have paid, international healthcare coverage.
This amount is more than enough to live a very nice lifestyle in Asia or almost anywhere in the world (within reason).
Love It. What’s the Catch?
While our lifestyle is pretty great, this isn’t a gap year experience to go travel the world.
We are looking for career-minded people that can make a positive impact on our business. Sure, sometimes we really do work by the pool, but we also work hard.
There will be days when you clock in 12 hours. There will also be days when you are up at all sorts of strange hours dealing with our sellers who live anywhere from the U.S. and U.K. to Eastern Europe and Asia.
While you might take a long break during the middle of the day, you might also find yourself burning the midnight oil as you hop onto a call to get a buyer or seller through the last hump of the migration process.
A lot of people love the idea of finding a job that allows them to travel the world and get a different job later back home. That is not this job.
We want you for the long-haul. We want you to grow with us and turn this position into a prosperous career.
Details to Keep in Mind
- Remember, we’re not going to throw you into the fire from day one.
- When you first come on board, you’re going to learn about our company. We will do a deep dive into how our processes and systems work, set you up in the backend, and teach you about each department within the business.
- We’ll start you off with low-level tasks. As you get better acquainted with our business, we will gradually build up your workload, get you comfortable with routine migrations, and then start having you take on more ambitious projects.
- We will review every application that comes our way. If we believe you’re a good fit for us, we will reach out to set up an interview. Typically, there are two rounds of interviews before we make a decision.
- If you believe you’re a good fit, you have until October 13, 2019 to apply.
- A background check is required before employment.
How Do I Apply?
Here is the sequence of events we use when hiring our new Migration Advisor:
- You record a YouTube video* explaining who you are and why you’re a good fit for the position, fill out an application by clicking the link below, and submit it ASAP by October 13, 2019.
- We review submissions and schedule first interviews.
- Once second interviews are done, a final decision is made.
- The chosen candidate will be announced by the end of October.
- The chosen candidate will start with the company on December 2nd, 2019.
YouTube Video Requirements:
We will only accept submissions that include a YouTube URL. Please leave the video “unlisted” in preferences and share the link with us. The quality of the video doesn’t matter, and there are no bonus points for editing. We just want (up to) three minutes of you explaining and answering the following questions (based on your previous experience):
- Describe how your past experiences and current skill set will allow you to succeed working as a Migration Advisor.
- Tell us one thing about you that sets you apart from the other candidates applying for this role.
If you’re thinking about applying but are worried you might not have enough (insert excuse here) — don’t worry. If you want to build something more than just a 9-to-5 job, then click the button below.
Please mention that you found the job on Remote Jobs Vault as thank you to us, this helps us get more companies to post here!