Publication Designer Consultant
Publication Designer Consultant
Location: Home-based, with regular interaction through e-mail and Skype
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: International Consultant
Languages Required: English
Expected Duration of Assignment: 1 October 2019 – 31 March 2020
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. The UN Women Europe and Central Asia Regional Office (ECA RO) was established in Istanbul, Turkey in early 2014. It provides support and oversight to Country Offices in Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova and Ukraine. In addition, the Regional Office directly supports programme and project presence in Kosovo (under UN Security Council Resolution 1244), Serbia, the Republic of North Macedonia, Tajikistan and Turkey.
Since 2018, UN Women ECA RO is implementing a Flagship Programme Initiative (FPI): Making Every Woman and Girl Count: Supporting the monitoring and implementation of the SDGs through better production and use of gender statistics (MEWGC), developed by UN Women Headquarters (HQ), that aims to affect a radical shift in the production, availability, accessibility and use of quality data and statistics on key aspects of gender equality and women’s empowerment. To support implementation in the Europe and Central Asia (ECA) region, UN Women Regional Office (RO) has developed the regional programme, which is specific to the context of the ECA region. It aims to provide technical support to countries to improve production and use of gender statistics for SDG monitoring and reporting, as well as to strengthen regional-level collaboration with key partners to better contribute to SDG monitoring at national and regional levels. At the country level, the programme works in close cooperation with UN Country Teams to ensure that gender statistics are available, accessible and analysed to inform and deliver policymaking, advocacy and accountability, as well as for the implementation of the Leave No One Behind principle.
The Regional “Making Every Woman and Girl Count” Programme develops communications and advocacy materials that require creative and catchy graphic design; such as publications, brochures, factsheets, fliers, posters, newsletters, infographics, animation videos, logos etc.; to support communications, advocacy and resource mobilization and enhance visibility and understanding of UN Women initiatives. In addition, the Regional Programme will support National Statistical Offices from ECA region to improve the communication and visualization of gender statistics as part of official statistics.
Goal and objectives:
The consultant will work under the direct guidance of UN Women ECA RO Gender Statistics Specialist to design publications, factsheets, infographics etc. thereby strengthening the content, availability, accessibility and use of data and statistics on key aspects of gender equality and women’s empowerment, as well as improving visibility of programme results.
Duties and Responsibilities
The consultant will work closely with UN Women ECA RO Gender Statistics Specialist and selected National Statistical Offices to perform the tasks, that include but are not limited to the following:
1. Designing publications, including cover pages, layout, infographics, tables and typesetting using approved templates.
- Conceptualize, design and layout of high-quality innovative, user-friendly, creative and attention-grabbing materials, such as publications, infographics, reports, data dashboard,
- Conceptualize, design and layout print and web-based campaign and advocacy materials, promotion and any other communications materials that require creative graphic design,
- Revise the statistical publications and other dissemination products developed by NSOs (Tajikistan, Kazakhstan, Belarus, etc.) and develop specific recommendation to improve the format and layout
2. Designing infographics and leaflets.
- Conceptualize and develop animation videos, graphics and infographics to communicate key achievements of the Regional Programme, including country-specific case regarding the implementation of international commitment on gender equality and women’s empowerment (CEDAW, BPfA, the Agenda 2030 for SDGs).
- The developed products should be created for specific use on web and social media, if required.
3. Designing other communications materials, including PowerPoint presentations and videos.
- Conceptualize, design and layout other communications materials including PowerPoint presentations and videos.
- Explore and propose ways to convey information through animation elements, if requested
- Liaise with the printing/ production facilities and provide them with all relevant production-related information, including quality control to ensure accurate and high-quality work.
- Messages should be positive and empowering and reflect the programme’s expected results to improve the access and use of gender statistics to inform policy decisions and programmes on gender equality and women empowerment;
- Materials should be designed in such a way that they can be updated and adjusted for future use (all colours, Pantone’s, fonts, inserted bitmaps or any other used resource should be included in the design package; fonts should not be converted to outlines in order to follow further edits and adaptations in the future);
- The design of the materials should be consistent with UN Women Communications guideline;
Deliverables: High-quality design printed materials, including publications, graphics and infographics etc. complying with agreed formats and communication objectives.
Timeframe: The deadline of submission for each assignment will be indicated with the instructions for each assignment.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design, animation, communications and/or visual arts. A Technical degree in combination with relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the bachelor’s degree.
- At least 5 years of professional experience in animation, graphic design and layout work.
- Experience on development of communications materials on gender is an asset.
- Working experience with National Statistical Offices and/or research institutions is an asset.
- Working experience with UN and/or international organizations is an asset.
Languages and other skills:
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience of relevant software for production of high-quality publications, ready-to-print files and electronic versions for web-posting (including Adobe Suite/CC such as Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, After Effects etc).
- Solid understanding of printing and production matters and knowledge of different formats for printing.
- Excellent written and oral skills in English. Knowledge of Russian is an asset.
The application should include:
- Cover letter to include a brief overview in English (unedited text) about which of your previous experiences makes you the most suitable candidate for the advertised position.
- P11 with past experience in similar assignments; can be downloaded, a signed copy should be submitted.
- Financial Proposal (Specifying a total lump sum amount for the tasks specified in this Terms of Reference). The financial proposal shall include a breakdown of this lump sum on hourly rate.
- Previous Work – The candidate should provide a portfolio with at least 3 examples of graphic design, including publication layout and infographics developed in the last two years, preferably using and transforming data into user-friendly format and messages.
Management and financial arrangements
The contractor will report to and work under direct supervision of UN Women ECA RO Gender Statisticians Specialist and in consultation with Regional Communications and Advocacy Specialist and Communications Associate.
Payments will be disbursed upon submission and approval of deliverables and certification by UN Women ECA RO that the services have been satisfactorily performed and based on the filled-out timesheet, specifying the number of days spent on each deliverable.
Consultants will be evaluated using a cumulative analysis method taking into consideration the combination of qualifications and financial proposal.
The candidates must possess the following minimum qualification criteria as listed above (Qualifications/Experience/Language).
Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 49 points in the technical evaluation would be considered for financial evaluation.
TECHNICAL EVALUATION (70%)
- Fluency in written and spoken English – REQUIRED
- Fluency in written and spoken Russian – Desirable
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design, animation, communications and/or visual arts. A Technical degree or certificate in combination with relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the bachelor’s degree – Max 10 points
- 0: without relevant university degree
- 0-10: relevant university degree
- At least 5 years of professional experience in animation, graphic design and layout work – Max 20 points
- 0: without relevant experience
- 0-10: 5 years of experience
- 10-20: more than 5 years of experience
- Experience on development of communications materials on gender issues is an asset – Max 10 points
- 0: without experience/expertise
- 0-5: 5 years of experience
- 5-10: more than 5 years of experience
Specialized Knowledge and Experience
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience of relevant software for production of high-quality publications, ready-to-print files and electronic versions for web-posting (including Adobe Suite/CC such as Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, After Effects etc) – Max 10
- 0: without experience
- 0-10: proven relevant experience
- Solid understanding of printing and production matters and knowledge of different formats for printing – Max 5
- 0: without experience/expertise
- 0-5: proven relevant knowledge and expertise
- Previous experience on designing of different communication products using statistical data and information is an asset – Max 10
- 0: without experience
- 0-10: demonstrated experience
- Previous experience with development agencies and/or the United Nations is an asset – Max 5
- 0: without experience
- 0-5: demonstrated experience
Total technical – 70
Financial Evaluation (30%) – max. 30 points:
The maximum number of points assigned to the financial proposal is allocated to the lowest price proposal. All other price proposals receive points in inverse proportion.
Evaluation of submitted financial offers will be done based on the following formula: p = 30 (µ/z), using the following values:
p = points for the financial proposal being evaluated
µ = price of the lowest priced proposal
z = price of the proposal being evaluated
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Please mention that you found the job on Remote Jobs Vault as thank you to us, this helps us get more companies to post here!