Senior Editorial Manager
Senior Editorial Manager
Flexible (Boston, DC, Oakland, or Remote)
JFF is a national nonprofit that drives transformation in the American workforce and education systems. For more than 35 years, JFF has led the way in designing innovative and scalable solutions that create access to economic advancement for all. Learn more about JFF and join us as we build a future that works.
About the position:
The Senior Editorial Manager is a sharp editor and writer who is integral to making JFF’s original content, thought leadership, and marketing communications bold, engaging, and impactful during a time of exciting growth. This role is critical to ensuring the success of JFF’s digital-first approach—and to elevating our brand through unified messaging, compelling storytelling, and powerful use of data and analysis. The position manages the strategic and efficient development of the large volume of editorial content JFF produces, in collaboration with our subject matter experts, freelance editors, and the broader Communications team. The Senior Editorial Manager is also a key contributor to our marketing communications strategy, incorporating SEO best practices, evaluating analytics, and refining tactics for greater impact. The position reports to the Associate Director, Editorial Services.
What you’ll do:
- Edit and write high-interest, high-impact content, including blog posts, op-ed articles, issue briefs, research publications, e-books, market scans, marketing emails, web content, and social media, for multiple online channels and essential print products
- Co-create first-rate multimedia content to augment digital and print products
- Tell stories; show impact with clarity; distill complex topics and analysis into readable, memorable, and influential content
- Assist in quality assurance, an organizational priority, by ensuring that all content meets JFF style, brand, voice, and tone guidelines
Strategic and Analytical Thinking
- Collaborate with JFF’s subject matter experts in conceiving, framing, and developing our expanding range of content, as we reimagine thought leadership to maximize our influence and impact with key audiences
- Evaluate content submissions for quality, assessing strength of argument, messaging, evidence, and logic, as well as clarity, readability, and organizational structure; recommend and/or make revisions; review drafts to determine when each piece meets JFF’s quality standards
- Use SEO keywords to increase impact of content marketing
- Work with the Associate Director and the Digital Content team to measure the impact of JFF’s content and adjust content strategy based on pre-determined KPIs
Management of Projects
- Manage the editorial queue of projects in Communications, using the organization’s web-based enterprise project management system, to ensure we meet deadlines and provide high-quality services to our internal clients
- Set and execute editorial priorities in concert with the Associate Director and other Communications leads
- Engage and oversee an experienced group of freelance writers, editors, and proofreaders; provide content direction, review their work, and manage their availability, training, and workload
Who you are:
- You have 6+ years of experience working professionally to communicate with a variety of audiences, across disciplines and platforms. Journalism, publishing, editing, marketing communications, or media preferred
- You have experience working in education, business, research, tech, nonprofit, workforce development, or other relevant fields
- You are an outstanding editor and an excellent, engaging, and efficient writer with the highest standards for quality, clarity, and accuracy
- You are passionate about learning new subjects and communicating them simply and powerfully to all audiences
Effective Collaborator and Impactful Contributor
- You ask incisive questions to help authors crystallize their key points, and you provide clear, respectful feedback to help improve the writing of people at all levels of the organization
- You enjoy collaborating with communications colleagues who have a range of expertise and experiences to reach project, team, and organizational goals.
- You are equally comfortable as an individual contributor as well as a collaborative team member. You work well independently and take initiative to try new ideas.
Efficient Project Manager
- You have excellent time management and solid organizational and planning skills, with the ability to effectively manage the flow of editorial content, prioritize projects, and meet competing deadlines.
- You value quality and quickness and recognize which to emphasize when.
- You are fluent in Microsoft Office and eager to learn new tech tools to assist in project management. You have experience using Adobe Creative Cloud applications and content management systems for web editing and design; experience with video and audio editing software is a plus.
Mission-Driven Leader and Team Player
- You possess high energy and passion for JFF’s mission and the ability to apply JFF’s core values to all areas of your work.
- You model inclusive leadership, working effectively with colleagues from diverse backgrounds and building and stewarding an organizational culture that embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- You contribute to positive, effective, collaborative cultures and teams wherever you work.
- You are a curious and adaptive learner, with a willingness to take in new information, perspectives, and data to inform your work.
- You demonstrate a growth mindset and a desire to continuously improve in your work and approach.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at JFF:
JFF is committed to sustaining a diverse community with a work environment that is welcoming, respectful, and encouraging to all. JFF fosters a culture of inclusion that celebrates and cultivates diversity along multiple dimensions, including race, ethnicity, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, socioeconomic status, religion, ability, culture, and experience.
Please mention that you found the job on Remote Jobs Vault as thank you to us, this helps us get more companies to post here!