Software Engineer, Monetization
[As of June 2020, Quora has become a “remote-first” company. This position can be performed remotely from anywhere in the world, regardless of any location that might be specified above.]
The vast majority of human knowledge is still not on the internet. Most of it is trapped in the form of experience in people’s heads, or buried in books and papers that only experts can access. More than a billion people use the internet, yet only a tiny fraction contribute their knowledge to it. We want to democratize access to knowledge of all kinds — from politics to painting, cooking to coding, etymology to experiences — so if someone out there knows something, anyone else can learn it. Our mission is to share and grow the world’s knowledge, and we’re building a world-class team to help us achieve this mission.
About the Team:
Every day, millions of people seek answers and share their knowledge through Quora. To foster this marketplace of knowledge, we need to build systems that make sharing knowledge rewarding and discovering it easy; that show you answers to questions you didn’t know you had, on topics you didn’t know you liked, and that scale to support the participation of the entire planet.
The Product Engineering teams focus on growth, engagement, and activation. This work includes how we distribute content to the right people, how we curate content on Quora, and how we engage new users, writers, and readers. This also includes defining, shaping, and changing the fundamental dynamics of Quora, to create a compelling and cohesive experience for users to share and grow knowledge.
About the Role:
Since we first launched our advertising platform, we’ve already grown to support thousands of advertisers who are reaching over 300 million monthly unique visitors on Quora. We have continued to build new products from the ground up and tackle exciting challenges at scale around audience targeting, low-latency real-time ad delivery and a suite of advertiser tools to create and optimize campaigns, to name just a few. We’re now getting started to expand our monetization efforts beyond Ads.
As an engineer on the Monetization team, you’ll work on efforts focused on generating revenue for the success of the company and mission to share and grow world’s knowledge. To fully achieve this, we need to make sure that the knowledge on Quora will improve and last forever. Revenue from our monetization efforts plays a critical role in empowering us to do that. As part of a highly cross-functional development team, you’ll build data-intensive applications, systems and new products that would unlock the future monetization opportunities for Quora. This also includes defining, and shaping experience for users, advertisers and businesses on Quora.
- Drive projects from ideation to production using the full technology stack.
- Work on a product team focused on monetization efforts at Quora
- Architect, design, and implement features for our mission-critical online ad platform at massive scale with data-driven iteration.
- Identify high impact features that achieve engineering and revenue goals, and be able to explain rationale for your decisions.
- Work with designers, fellow engineers, and data scientists to prototype and implement functionality and analyze impact
- Work quickly and effectively on multiple projects, prioritizing effectively to ship new features and scale up existing ones
- Ability to be available for meetings and impromptu communication during Quora’s “coordination hours” (Mon-Fri: 9am-3pm Pacific Time). Learn why here
- 3+ years of full-time product development experience building consumer or enterprise web products
- 2+ years of professional experience with backend storage systems such as MySQL, HBase, or Redis
- 2+ years experience with large-scale distributed systems
- Excellent coding skills with proficiency in any programming language (e.g. Python, C++, Java, etc.)
- Ability to think holistically about a complex, social product, and map big picture metrics to a realistic, actionable plan
- 2+ years of industry experience in online advertising, or related areas in monetization & marketing
- 1+ years of experience building with open-source data infrastructure technologies, such as Kafka, Airflow, and Spark
- Experience working with React and GraphQL
- Passion for experimentation and new ideas
- Love of the Quora product
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Please mention that you found the job on Remote Jobs Vault as thank you to us, this helps us get more companies to post here!