DWS Job #:2289062
Location: SALT LAKE CITY, UT, 84111
Requisition Number 2019-10791
# of Openings 3
Office Location: US | US-NM-Albuquerque | US-AZ-Tucson | US-OR-Portland | US-UT-Salt Lake City
Program Technical Publications
Hire Type: Temporary
About the opportunity
SWCA Environmental Consultants is seeking on-call technical editors to join the Technical Publications team and support offices throughout the company.
Preferred locations are the Salt Lake City, UT, Albuquerque, NM, Tucson, AZ, and Portland, OR offices. However, the right candidate could sit in any of our 30 offices or work remotely.
The candidate will be responsible for editing and formatting our scientific technical reports and marketing proposals. Technical reports range from multichapter, multivolume environmental impact statements and cultural resources reports to simple memoranda.
This is a part-time, hourly position averaging 20 to 30 hours per week during business hours, with occasional evening, weekend, and overtime work when deadlines demand.
What you will accomplish
- Edit and format large and small reports (usually containing text, tables, maps and other graphics, and appendices) for correctness, completeness, organization, clarity, consistency, grammar, and conformity with SWCA or client style guidelines.
- Work quickly under tight deadlines while maintaining an appropriate level of quality.
- Communicate efficiently and effectively with project managers and authors to resolve content questions, changes in the schedule, and budget constraints.
- Collaborate with other editors and formatters to track updates to style sheets, ensure consistency of voice and content, and meet deadlines.
- Create, combine, and manipulate PDFs in Adobe Acrobat. Add bookmarks and hyperlinks for navigability.
Experience and qualifications for success
- A bachelor’s degree in technical writing, English, communications, journalism, or related discipline plus 5 years of relevant experience or a master’s degree in those fields plus 2 years of relevant experience
- Technical knowledge of environmental consulting, biological sciences, or cultural resources is highly desirable.
- Command of Microsoft Word, especially Track Changes and Styles functions. Experience with other MS programs and collaborative editing platforms a plus.
- Ability and willingness to learn SWCA’s in-house templates, style guide, and quality assurance, quality control (QA/QC) processes.
- Exceptional organizational skills and ability to balance ever-changing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Flexibility, excellent interpersonal skills, and commitment to teamwork.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and establish or shift priorities under tight deadlines.
- Excellent organizational, verbal, writing, and analytical skills.
- Superior command of grammar, punctuation, spelling, and composition.
- Ability to translate technical jargon into plain language.
- Proficiency in the Adobe Creative Suite and ability to create graphics such as flow charts, org charts, scientific illustrations, infographics, and informational posters are highly desirable.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record’s Top 200 Environmental Firms.
Please mention that you found the job on Remote Jobs Vault as thank you to us, this helps us get more companies to post here!